Tuesday 9 August 2011

Site content copying between 2 sites based on different templates

Hi All,

I have seen people troubling for copying content from a site to another site when both the sites are based on different templates. This is not possible with STSADM export/import command since it requires source and destination sites to be based on same template.

I will explain a workaround that will require some extra effort but will work for you. I will explain this with this example:

I have two site collections A and B both have subsites A1 and B1 respectively. As per the requirement A1 and B1 are based on different templates and I want to copy data from A1 to B1. I will follow these steps:

1. I will export the contents from site A1 by suing STSADM export. I will use this for reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262759(office.12).aspx
2. I will import this content to some site under site collection B say B2 by following command:
STSADM -o import -URL http://B/B2 -filename ExportFileFullLocation
Note:- For the execution of this command there is no requirement for the site B2 to be available at the destination location during the execution it will be created automatically.
3. I will use site manager now to copy the lists, libraries etc from B2 to B1. Once completed I will delete B2 site.

This will solve this issue.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,
Rahul Rashu

No comments:

Post a Comment